Katherine Gorge...Happy Birthday Lois !!

I have a few things on my 'wish list' and this was one of them...Cruising down the Katherine Gorge...But I wasn't as impressed as I thought I would be....

Katherine Gorge is a deep gorge carved through ancient sandstone by the Katherine River. The  Gorge is made up of 13 gorges, with rapids and falls that follow the Katherine River, which begins in Kakadu. 


During the dry season the Katherine Gorge waters are placid in most spots and ideal for swimming and canoeing. In the dry season the gorges become separated as the level of the river falls. The cruises only go as far as the 5th gorge.


We chose to go on a 2 hour cruise taking in the first 2 gorges..a beautiful hot day, made it a lovely atmosphere  to cruise through the gorges...The first gorge was a lot like other cruises we had been on...








After we had been through the first gorge we had to change over boats, we had to walk several metres to connect with the second boat because of the water levels.





 Aboriginal art

 Disguarded snake skin





It was an awesome feeling being at water level to these huge gorges...and I would have loved to canoed down it, but it would have been too risky for me...especially if I would have had an angina attack whilst out there a long away from anywhere...


The 2nd gorge was more spectacular...
















I was disappointed that we didn't see much wildlife...birds etc...except one...up high on a ridge...


Grey Falcon

We did see one crocodile asleep on the sandy banks..Most of the sandy banks were out of bounds to land on as they are nesting grounds for the crocodiles...


Today was a special day also.. it was Lois' birthday..so I bought her a tea cake and put a candle on it..and we celebrated at morning coffee...




No comments:

Post a Comment